He came from Middlesex, England with roots in 1216 North Wyke and died about 1688 or 1689 in New England. The name Weeks reached English shores for the first time with the ancestors of the Weeks family as they migrated following the Norman Conquest of 1066. The Weeks family lived in Sussex. The name, however, derives from the Old English word wic, which describes someone who lives at an outlying settlement.
William is believed to be the son of Richard Wickes (Weeks) who names his son, William in his  will and being in New England. When William Weeks began coming to the Vineyard that it was governed by Indians. It seems that the mariners spent the summers on the island and the winters at Plymouth on the mainland. By the time the first proprietor of the island, Thomas Mayhew, Sr. arrived on the Island in 1642…
View original post 1,148 more words